Thursday 6 October 2011

BUNTING

This blog isn't to do with the fact that I'm having a baby in 3 weeks (touch wood) but, because it's obviously taking over my life at the moment I thought I'd just put in a few things...firstly...bunting.

Bunting has had such a revival recently, not least with the Royal Wedding (and a million other weddings) but at all kinds of parties as well as being used in home decor.



My husband and I were lucky enough to have a holiday in Sri Lanka earlier this year, (the last as just us without any kids...arrgh) and we bought quite a bit of fabric as it was soooo super cheap (about USD$6 a metre). It came from a shop called Kahanda Kanda in Galle Fort but we also bought more from Paradise Road in Colombo (be warned, this shop is amazing and you will find it hard not to buy everything in sight).


As I was just 3 months pregnant on the holiday we succumbed to the below...




We didn't know what we'd make but we have about 8 metres of each so my first foray into using it was bunting for the baby's room. One problem was that we don't know if we're having a boy or a girl so I needed to have it made double sided (pink on one, blue on the other) so we can just flip it over depending on what pops out.


Now, I know on all the blogs the author's are usually incredible crafty and clever but I don't have a sewing machine and wouldn't have a clue where to start. Luckily my lovely cleaner saved the day and whipped away the material and my specifications and knocked it up for me. 




I looked on a few "how to" blogs and found some basic instructions, bought some dark blue binding and cut out a triangular template from card as shown above. 


The result...




As you can see it's not in its final location (I need a big ladder for that and have been banned from going up one as I'm too massive) but you get the picture - blue one side, pink the other... TA DAAAA





No comments:

Post a Comment